Looking for the perfect cozy DIY decoration to get you in the spirit of the season? These cute pinecone garlands are perfect woodland decorations your space needs to be warm and inviting this season! These garlands are perfect for both fall and winter decorating, so make them now and you can leave them up for months to come! Your little DIY helpers can lend a hand, especially if you’d like to use real pinecones! Roll up your sleeves and get started!
What You’ll Need:
- Pinecones, faux or real
- Twine or wire
- If you are deciding to go the real pinecone route versus fake pinecones, gather up the little ones and head out to collect pinecones!
- Once collected, rinse your pinecones with water to wash off dirt and sap, and let the excess water dry off.
- Place pinecones on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 200 degrees for about an hour, making sure to shake the pinecones once or twice to make sure they don’t burn. Baking the pinecones ensures that you’re killing any unwanted pests that might be living inside the cones!
- Once your pinecones are done, remove from oven and let them cool. If they have closed up a bit, leave them out to air dry for a little while until any excess moisture is gone.
- Once completely dry and cooled, or if you are using faux pinecones, start assembling your garland. Start by cutting one long length of twine or wire the length you’d like your garland to be, and go ahead and add a little extra just in case. Also cut several lengths of twine, about 7-8 inches each.
- Attach a short length of twine to each pinecone by looping the twine under the layer of scales just under the base (wider end). Tie a single knot to secure the string around the pinecone.
- Once you’ve tied string around each pinecone, attach each pinecone string to your garland by tying the loose ends from each pinecone onto the long piece of twine or wire from earlier. Space them out however you want. If you want a denser garland, tie pinecones right next to each other for a cluster effect, or space them out for a more quaint garland!
- Once your garland is adorned to your liking, hang or drape wherever you’d like and enjoy the festive ambiance it brings!
It is incredible just how versatile and charming this lovely pinecone garland is! You can pair it with other woodland decorations like leaves or pine accents for a charming, rustic feel! There are plenty of possibilities to make this piece unique! This is just a basic tutorial, but you can do a wide array of variations to fit your tastes, such as:
- Use colored twine or yarn to add a nice splash of color
- Use a pine garland instead of twine for the garland for a more natural look
- Coat pinecones in glue, glitter, fake snow, or paint to give them more of a dynamic look
- Add other accents with pinecones like leaves, berries, flowers, or other items
There are so many possibilities to make this pinecone garland just the way you want it! What would you add to your pinecone garland to make it unique? Or do you like it as it is? Comment with your creative ideas!