The kids are going to jump out of bed ready for the sweets the Easter Bunny is going to bring on Easter morning. Calm the urge to bust into the candy first thing in the morning with a sweet breakfast for them. These homemade cinnamon rolls for Easter morning will tide them over until a reasonable hour at which to dig into the peeps and chocolate.
These are no-joke from-scratch cinnamon rolls so you’ll be making the dough, filling, and the icing. Get your apron and chef hat and get working. They are well worth the extra work and beat the pants off the kind you can get in a tube.
Don’t let the word homemade intimidate you. While it looks like a lot of work, these are relatively easy. Don’t back out now!
- Warm the milk and beat the egg.
- In a large bowl, mix everything except the flour.
- Add the flour in one cup at a time. Stop once the dough is no longer sticky.
- Let the dough sit for an hour to rise.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle that is around ¼” thick.
Filling & Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spread the entire stick of butter evenly over the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the butter.
- Roll the dough starting from the long end.
- Slice the roll into 2” pieces and place them in a buttered pan, keeping them about ½” apart.
- Let the rolls sit so they rise to a point of touching.
- Bake 25—30 minutes or until they’re golden brown on the top.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Make the icing while you’re waiting.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the cream cheese and butter together over low heat, using caution not to let them boil.
- Whisk in the vanilla, and then the powdered sugar until mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Spread it on while the rolls are still warm and serve!
These are probably the best cinnamon rolls you’ll ever taste. Make them for breakfast, snacks, desserts, and pretty much anytime that sweet tooth starts nagging. Or you can save this as a special holiday treat.