You know what goes great with pretty much any meal? Cornbread! Especially when you’re cooking up some campfire chili or goulash! But is it really worth firing up the RV oven for? Maybe, but you should first try this campfire skillet cornbread. It’s sure to illicit a “yum!” from anyone who tries it!
1 Cup yellow corn meal
1 Cup flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Cup milk
¼ Cup melted butter
Cast Iron Skillet
1. Melt enough of the shortening in the cast iron skillet to coat the pan.
2. In a large bowl blend the corn meal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. In a small bowl beat the eggs and then add the milk and melted butter. Make sure the butter is cooled so it doesn’t cook the egg.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until the mixture is moistened. Don’t over mix!
5. Spread the mixture in the skillet and heat over low heat. Keep an eye on the bread and when bubbles start to form you’ll want to flip it over.
6. Continue to cook until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Enjoy this cornbread with some butter! You can eat it all on its own or serve it as a side with another delicious dish!
Chili is by far one of the best things to have cornbread with. So we couldn’t just end this with a cornbread recipe and not let you in on some mouth-watering chili action too! Get out your dutch oven and let this amazing stuff simmer for a while!
2lbs Ground beef
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Onion, diced
1 Red pepper, diced
1 Large jalapeno, diced
4 Cloves of garlic, minced
1 Can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
1 Can black beans, drained
1 Cup beef broth
1 Packet of your favorite chili seasonings
2 Tablespoons chives
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon pepper
1. Heat the vegetable oil in your dutch oven and sauté the onion, red pepper, and jalapeno until onions are softened and tender.
2. Add the garlic and the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Move the pot to a lower heat area of the fire and cover. Let the pot simmer for at least 30 min. The longer it cooks the thicker it will be and the more flavorful it will taste.
Now serve up this chili with that cornbread and enjoy! And don't forget dessert! Try these tasty baked apples for a delicious yet nutritious way to end your fantastic meal. This is the kind of food that will stick to your ribs and give you a great night’s sleep!