For a great outdoor meal that is simple to make and sure to please, check out this recipe for campfire meatloaf. This unconventional cooking method gives you the same great taste of oven-cooked meatloaf, but in great single-serving portions that the whole family will eat right up!
What You’ll Need
- Tin Foil
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 6 Large Onions
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 C. Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 C. Ketchup
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make
- Begin by prepping your fire so that you have a nice bed of coals to work with when it comes time to cook your meatloaf.
- Using your knife, cut the center layers out of your onions, creating a bowl shape. Set the tops of the onions off to the side for later use. If you’d like, chop up the leftover centers and add the extra onion into your meat mixture.
- In your mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, garlic powder, ketchup, and bread crumbs.
- Fill the onions with your meat mixture and place the tops back on.
- Wrap the onions in tin foil and carefully place them on the burning coals.
- Let them cook for about 30 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Remove the tin foil, top with ketchup, salt, and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Cap off this fantastic camping meal with some tasty campfire apple treats for dessert! And while you’re at it, prep one of these breakfast recipes for the morning and keep the tasty times rolling!
What are some of your favorite campfire meals? Do you have a different version of meatloaf to share? We'd love to hear from you in the Comments below!