Camping with family and friends is always a fun time! Being around a campfire though is an unbeatable experience! The warmth, good times, and hearty laughs fill the void and stillness of nature and the shining stars. What better way to add to the enjoyable company than a tasty snack! You have your standard, yet delicious, s’more, but let’s one up the snack field and make Campfire Apple Treats!
Now you may be thinking, “An apple treat? Apples are fruit!” Why yes they are, but what if you add some not-so-healthy elements to an apple? Then it becomes an extra-tasty treat worthy enough to be brought to a campfire! Making Campfire Apple Treats also makes for a fun evening with family or friends as you craft up your apple! Let's get started!
-A sharp knife (parents, don’t let kids cut their apple!)
-A spoon for each person indulging in this treat!
-Apples, one per person (whatever variety you like)
-White sugar (or you can use brown sugar)
- Pick out your apple!
- For each person, tear a 10"-long piece of aluminum foil.
- Core your apple! This is the tricky part though, as you don’t want to core your apple all the way through! Just get the core and seeds out, making a pocket in the middle of your apple. (Parents, do this step for your kids).
- Keep your core for later! It’ll be used as a plug when it bakes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each apple.
- Add 1 teaspoon of white sugar to each apple. If using brown sugar, add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Re-insert the core as a plug so the goodness doesn’t escape!
- Take your foil and wrap up your apple treat and make sure there are no openings! Double wrap your apple for extra protection if you desire.
- Go to your fire!
- Make sure your fire isn’t roaring. You’ll want to move the embers around to create a nice, hot coal bed.
- Place your wrapped-up apple in the hot coals and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, flip it and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Ding! It’s ready! Take your wrapped apple out of the coal bed and carefully unwrap it.
- Get your spoon and dig in! Eat with caution because of the hot sugar!
As everyone digs in, brainstorm other things you could add to your Campfire Apple Treats the next time you make them! What would it taste like if you added a giant marshmallow or a little Nutella
? Have fun and experiment with your apple treats!